Safety, Reliability and Innovation in Renewable Energy
Our comprehensive portfolio of renewable energy solutions helps stakeholders plan, design, finance, build, invest, operate, maintain, and manage wind both on land and offshore, and solar throughout the project lifecycle and across the value chain. Working with UL means you have access to proven science, expert engineering, and innovative solutions that address the unique challenges of these industries. With offices in over 140 countries, a team of over 500 experts, and over 35 years of experience we are well positioned to help mitigate risk and navigate complexities associated with renewable energy to empower successful outcomes.
Empowering Successful Outcomes
Decisions made during project development are crucial to long-term success. We help clients navigate complexities and mitigate risk in the earliest stages of development by providing access to proven science, expert engineering, the best available data and software, and a full range of innovative solutions. We work with your team in the way that makes the most sense – either as a technical advisor or by providing access to resource data, online services, and advanced software enabling your team to do the work itself.
Our Offerings for Wind, Offshore Wind, and Solar Energy Industries
Project Development Support
- Navigate project complexities in the earliest stages of development.
- Site Screening and Feasibility
- Turnkey Measurement Services (Met Masts and Remote Sensing
- Resource Assessment
- Plant Design Energy Assessment
- Technology Selection and Suitability
- Infrastructure and Balance of Plant
- Permitting Support and Environmental Assessment
Software and Data
Leverage the knowledge and expertise of our experts and enable your team to work independently.
- Wind Data Management
- Resource Maps
- Time Series Datasets
- Site Specific Reports
Manage expectations of operational plants and improve performance, including safe and reliable operations of wind projects beyond the original design life.
- Operational Energy Assessments
- Performance Analysis
- Plant Performance Optimization
- Remote Sensing / Lidar for Turbine Diagnostics
- Turbine Inspections
- Root Cause Analysis
- Lifetime Extension / Remaining Useful Life
- Loads Simulations
- Components Evaluation
Understand renewable energy variability and the impact of weather-driven events:
- Real-Time Renewable Forecasting
- Grid Management and Planning Services
- Atmospheric Modeling and Applied Research
Energy Storage Solutions
Address safety concerns for large battery systems for wind and solar integrators and OEMS.
- Testing and Certification
- Performance Testing
- Custom Research
Mitigate the risks associated with renewable energy project investment:
- Independent Engineering
- Technical Advisory
- Pre-Construction, Operational and Repowering Projects
- Custom Support for Investors, M&A, Tax Equity
- Turbine Technology, Civil and Electrical Design Review
- Contracts Review
- Environmental Permitting Review
- Financial Model Review
- Construction Monitoring
- Owner's Engineer
Confirm compliance and provide assurance and confidence in wind technology.
- Certification of Turbines and Components
- Project Certification
- Grid Code Compliance
- Assessment of Construction and Foundations
Testing and Inspection
Verify the safety, reliability, performance and compliance of wind turbines and components.
- Validation and Type Testing
- Mechanical Loads
- Power Performance Testing
- Electrical Characteristics
- Low Voltage Ride Through Testing
Help validate and substantiate security claims, meet regulatory requirements and mitigate risks of cyber incidents.
- Custom Security Testing
- Penetration Testing
- Code Review
- Risk Analysis
- Gap Analysis
Research and Advanced Studies
Research in electrical safety, renewable resource characterization, plant design, energy estimation and real-time forecasting.
- Custom Research
- Market Studies
- Advised 90% of the top wind project developers and plant owners.
- Delivered 5000+ preliminary wind assessment reports and 7000+ datasets and maps in 80+ since 2012.
- Lender’s engineer for approximately half of all lenders active in wind project finance.
- Independent/owner’s engineer for 550+ wind and solar projects since 2012.
- Forecast provider for 70+ gigawatts of installed renewable energy projects.
- Completed 700+ wind power performance tests on 350+ wind projects.